The South African Society of Engineering Education would like to support new researchers in engineering education by offering grants of up to R50 000. The grants are intended to support new researchers developing research skills in engineering education that will help both advance the researchers’ careers and expand the engineering education community in South Africa.
Applicants should hold an academic or research position at a South African academic institution, and should not have substantial research experience in engineering education.
Applications will be evaluated by the SASEE Board and awards will be made on the following criteria:
- Capacity of the applicant to complete the proposed research project within the timescale and budget
- Originality of the proposed research
- Relevance to the South African engineering education community
- Appropriateness and feasibility of proposed methodology and method
- Collaborations between institutions and researchers are highly encouraged
Recipients of a SASEE Research Grant must:
- Submit a brief report (< 1 page) detailing progress and financial expenditure to the SASEE General Secretary every six months.
- Submit a full research paper to the next SASEE biennial conference.
- Present their project and findings at the SASEE conference even if the paper is not accepted.
- Submit a final report including a final summary, financial
Any deviation from the proposed budget must be approved by the SASEE board, and any unspent funding shall be returned to SASEE at the end of the grant period. Travel to the SASEE conference for the grant holder will be funded and arranged by SASEE, therefore should not be included in the project budget. Grant funds may not be spent on computers, administrative assistance, or teaching relief.
Timeframe for Applications and Awards
Call for proposals
First progress report due
Second progress report due
Final report and research presentation
22 January, 2018
16 February, 2018
1 August, 2018
1 February, 2019
20 July, 2019 (at SASEE conference)
Winners will be notified by email and funds distributed as soon as possible. Funds will be distributed via the appropriate fund management mechanism at the host institution